Pages

Thursday 10 January 2013

Query to concatenate row values in sql server

Now I will explain how to write a query to concatenate row values in SQL Server. Here I will explain with one example for that I have one table UserDetails like as shown below

Now I want bind the username row values into single row like as shown below
If we want to concatenate one column row values into single row we need to write query like this
DECLARE @name NVARCHAR(MAX)
SELECT @name = COALESCE(@name + ',', '') + UserName FROM UserDetails
SELECT UserNames = @name

If you observe above query I used function COALESCE it returns the first non-null expression among its arguments.

OutPut
We can concatenate rows in another way also
Another way
If we want to concatenate rows of column we can write query like as shown below

DECLARE @name NVARCHAR(MAX)
SET @name=''
SELECT @name = @name +','+UserName  FROM UserDetails
SET @name = Substring(@name, 2, (len(@name)))
SELECT @name as UserNames
OutPut

2 comments:


  1. awsome piece of information, I had come to know about your website from my friend vinod, indore,i have read atleast seven posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your blog gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, i'm already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new posts, once again hats off to you! Thanks a ton once again, Regards, Single Row Function in sql

    ReplyDelete
  2. awful piece of information, I had come to know about your blog from my friend vimal, mumbai,i have read atleast 13 posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your blog gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, i'm already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new posts, once again hats off to you! Thanks a million once again, Regards, Single Row Function

    ReplyDelete